Saturday, March 19, 2011

Review Of When Colors Bleed By Estevan Vega

Cover Image
When Colors Bleed By Estevan Vega
  • Pub. Date: March 2011
  • Publisher: Estevan Vega
  • Sold By: Barnes & Noble
  • Format: NOOKbook (ebook)
  • Sales Rank: 405,307
  • File Size: 859 KB
  • EAN: 2940012182708
  • Available: only in the U.S.
  • Source: Barnes And Noble (link to purchase HERE)
  • Purchase: Amazon.Com (link to purchase HERE)
  • Age: 18+*

*Added the age restriction myself because I feel the themes of these stories may not be geared towards a younger audience.

Blurb:

WHEN COLORS BLEED
is a collection of short stories by the author of ARSON. This unique collection features three different stories with universal themes of love, loss, and regret. Watch the colors bleed.

BABY BLUE: Casey never had any luck with men, even though she was employed by one of the finest clothing stores in New England and saw attractive, “sure kinds” strolling through her section every day like clockwork. At twenty-three years old, she has given up on her dreams of the spotlight, of finding love, and of ever getting out of the small town she reluctantly calls home. But one rainy afternoon, Thomas Rayford, a very unusual and kind stranger, stumbles into her life looking for an odd, baby blue suit. One thing is certain: Casey, the twenty-three-year-old dreamer stuck in a line, will never be the same.

VANILLA RED: From his cold hell in Block C, a nameless man unfolds this twisted tale. This is the story of a man who becomes something else. A man who had a father once. A man who loved once. “They want to know why. They want a reason,” he confesses. “But nobody likes the reasons. They’re like unwanted children or cancers with no cure. A reason is a justification, an excuse so we can’t be blamed. But I know what it is I’ve done, and there is no reason that can take it back.” So begins Vanilla Red, a confession, a story, a prayer, or perhaps a drip of dark truth in the batter of humanity. Take a look inside and tell me what color you see.

THE MAN IN THE COLORED ROOM: Colin awakens in a room, jittery, afraid, and confused. He knows not how he got here, who brought him, or why. And the only thing waiting for him is a hot cup of coffee and a seemingly flawless room that bleeds colors. As an architect, he understands that no room is perfect, but somehow this anomaly has crawled through the cracks and pushed the limits of perfection. No seams. No lines. No windows. Enter a bald man in a suit. Once he steps through the door, he makes the colors disappear with the push of button. His name is Jack, and he claims to be a friend. Still unsure of anything, Colin wages war with his mind, with a dark truth he isn’t ready to accept, and with Jack. In the moments that follow, Jack asks Colin a series of questions, questions that will reveal the where, the how, and the why of his arrival.

I applaud Estevan for writing three amazing short stories. My favorite was Baby Blue because it made me cry and it just made me take stock of my life. All three stories, in my opinion, reminded me of possible episodes of The Twilight Zone. Vanilla Red is a great retrospect into the mind of a disillusioned soul. The Man In The Colored Room ends up being a curious surprise with a twist for an ending. I read this book without reading the blurb because I wanted to read these stories blind, so to speak. I had no clue about love, loss, and regret being a universal theme within the three stories, so I enjoyed coming to that conclusion on my own. I would loved to see these stories played out on t.v. because if they had such a profound effect on me just from reading it, I can only imagine how much more of an impact it would have upon seeing it with my own eyes. Estevan has another hit on his hands, first with Arson and now with When Colors Bleed. To be so young and yet so uniquely talented in his writing is such a great ability and a credit to his craft. On a scale from 1-10 I give this book a 20 because it is such a refreshingly different experience for me that I feel I have gained such a great appreciation for short stories. The macabre like feel of the stories didn't hurt either. I think everyone 18+ (only because of the themes in the stories) should pick up a copy of When Colors Bleed and discover the greatness that is Estevan Vega for themselves.

Link:

No comments:

Post a Comment